• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Checking Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sm431933

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I want to know if it is legal for one person on a joint checking account to close the account and take the all the funds and open a new account under their name only.

Antigone*

I want to know if it is legal for one person on a joint checking account to close the account and take the all the funds and open a new account under their name only.
Insofar as the bank is concerned, yes it is legal.

Are you married? Have you filed for divorce?

Gracie3787

It depends on how the joint account was set up.

If the account was listed as John Smith OR Mary Smith, then yes it is legal since either person could siign without the other's signature.

However, if the account was set up as John Smith AND Mary Smith, no it would not be legal since both signatures would be required. That couldn't normally happen since the bank teller should catch that one signature was missing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">