• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jointly titled car with ex-girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmoore765

I co-signed a car for my ex-girlfriend in 2004. She was the exclusive user of the car, made the payments and carried the insurance although the car was jointly titled to both of us. When we broke up in 2007 she kept the car and I all but forgot about it. In 2012 I received notice that I owed past due property Taxes (This is Kentucky). I also learned from the DMV that the car had been registered in my name/address through 2010 at which time it wasn't paid or renewed. I also learned there is a lien on the car so it was apparently never paid off. I do not know where she lives and haven't seen the car or her in over 6 years.

I feel stuck now being financially responsible for a car that I don't have and can't get posession of. The DMV says it was last registered to me so I owe the taxes. GMAC (loan company) says I'm on the loan so I owe the payments (which are actually $500 in late fees....car itself is apparently paid off). I spoke to my local police department and was told I can't report it stolen since it's her car.

I really don't want to be liable for property that for all intents and purposes isn't mine.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I co-signed a car for my ex-girlfriend in 2004. She was the exclusive user of the car, made the payments and carried the insurance although the car was jointly titled to both of us. When we broke up in 2007 she kept the car and I all but forgot about it. In 2012 I received notice that I owed past due property Taxes (This is Kentucky). I also learned from the DMV that the car had been registered in my name/address through 2010 at which time it wasn't paid or renewed. I also learned there is a lien on the car so it was apparently never paid off. I do not know where she lives and haven't seen the car or her in over 6 years.

I feel stuck now being financially responsible for a car that I don't have and can't get posession of. The DMV says it was last registered to me so I owe the taxes. GMAC (loan company) says I'm on the loan so I owe the payments (which are actually $500 in late fees....car itself is apparently paid off). I spoke to my local police department and was told I can't report it stolen since it's her car.

I really don't want to be liable for property that for all intents and purposes isn't mine.
Then you should NOT have signed a contract stating that you would be liable for the property. You get pay the taxes and the late payments or face the consequences.

Antigone*

You should have thought of that when you signed on the dotted line. These ARE your debts whether you like it or not.

OHRoadwarrior

Ah, but it is. The fact that you permitted it to disappear and frolic all around the country, is negligent on your part. Consider yourself lucky she did not have a major uninsured accident, which surely would have cost you 10 times what this did.

bmoore765

Antigone - You misunderstand what I said. I do realize I'm financially responsible for property I signed a contract for. However, I thought that also meant I would have rights to the property. In other words I was under the impression that if she wasn't making payments and I had to then I could simply take the car and sell it or whatever. However, the message I keep getting is that since it's jointly titled she can do what ever she wants with it (drive it without insurance/registration), abandon it, scrap it whatever with me being 100% liable. Something seems wrong with that.

OHRoadwarrior

Antigone - You misunderstand what I said. I do realize I'm financially responsible for property I signed a contract for. However, I thought that also meant I would have rights to the property. In other words I was under the impression that if she wasn't making payments and I had to then I could simply take the car and sell it or whatever. However, the message I keep getting is that since it's jointly titled she can do what ever she wants with it (drive it without insurance/registration), abandon it, scrap it whatever with me being 100% liable. Something seems wrong with that.
Nope, she can likely part it out, however, unless she illegally signs your name to the title, she cannot legally scrap it or sell it.

bmoore765

OH Roadwarrior - Point taken, but how do I stop this going forward? Yes it may be negligent on my part, but at the time she seemed trustworthy and I didn't anticipate an issue...shame on me. However at this point she apparently is driving it uninsured, unregistered. Or else it's abandoned or simply not being used. Either way I need to somehow resolve this. Paying off the loan, back taxes isn't my issue here. I can do that. However, I will still remain legally liable for this car unless I can someone get off the title or me get the car. As it stands now she can do whatever she wants because her name is on the title.

Antigone*

You cannot just take the car, she is an owner as well..

You are right, something is wrong with that. YOU made a terrible decision to play house and put your credit on the line for someone with whom you had no legal ties.

You dug the whole...

OHRoadwarrior

It appears your biggest problem, aside from the bills generated is you have no idea where the car is. I suggest you attempt to discover that from the state taxing authority. There is a good chance the vehicle is sitting at that address broken down. Once you confirm that, you can possibly get possession of the remains to scrap and she will sign the title, so you can pay off the loan and get the lien removed to scrap it.

bmoore765

Antigone - You are right...she is part owner so I can't just take the car. However, do I not have any rights as the other 1/2 owner? You are telling me that just because she is part owner she has every right to keep the car and use it....possibly even operating it illegally?

OH Roadwarrior - In a best case scenerio I guess I could find the car, pay off the lien and get her to sign over the title but those are some big IF's there. If she refused to sign over the title for example what recourse would I have on the property taxes? Same with insurance? Can she really illegally operate a vehicle and me be the responsible party simply because her name is on the title? She has been registering this car in my name for at least three years without my knowledge.....Is that legal? The way I see it, I essentially gifted the car to her and now she is not upholding the legal, contractual aspects of the car. An analogy would be me giving you a knife as a gift and 10 years later you kill someone with said knife and I being held responsible since I bought it. Surely there is a legal way to remedy this other than me track her down on my own and beg for cooperation.

Antigone*

Antigone - You are right...she is part owner so I can't just take the car. However, do I not have any rights as the other 1/2 owner? You are telling me that just because she is part owner she has every right to keep the car and use it....possibly even operating it illegally?

OH Roadwarrior - In a best case scenerio I guess I could find the car, pay off the lien and get her to sign over the title but those are some big IF's there. If she refused to sign over the title for example what recourse would I have on the property taxes? Same with insurance? Can she really illegally operate a vehicle and me be the responsible party simply because her name is on the title? She has been registering this car in my name for at least three years without my knowledge.....Is that legal? The way I see it, I essentially gifted the car to her and now she is not upholding the legal, contractual aspects of the car. An analogy would be me giving you a knife as a gift and 10 years later you kill someone with said knife and I being held responsible since I bought it. Surely there is a legal way to remedy this other than me track her down on my own and beg for cooperation.
You came up with a great solution. Pay off what is owed and sign over the title to HER.

bmoore765

Antigone - Can I do that on my own? Sign the title over to her? In other words, I pay off the lien, request the title and then what? Do I need her permission to sign it over or what??

Antigone*

Antigone - Can I do that on my own? Sign the title over to her? In other words, I pay off the lien, request the title and then what? Do I need her permission to sign it over or what??
When you pay off the lien you will be sent the title. I suggest you check with your dept of motor vehicles, but that does seem plausible to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When you pay off the lien you will be sent the title. I suggest you check with your dept of motor vehicles, but that does seem plausible to me.
The problem with THAT is that it would require the other party to update the records. Simply signing the title and mailing it off will not relieve him of legal responsibility (in and of itself)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">