• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judges order was not obeyed by respondant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lauraj89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I had a order of protection against someone i am living with because of threats made against me and my children. The judge ordered a temp. Order of protection until yesterday when we were to see him again and get attorneys. I was in court waiting all day yesterday since out judge was in trial until 4:30. When we finally were called my attorney was not available so the case was adjourned til monday. The respondant had her attorney ask if she could return back to our apartment until Monday, but the judge said no because of the seriousness of the threats against me and my kids, she has no legal right to be there right now. Those were his exact words. They gave me an ajournment slip. And I assumed we would be safe until Monday. But i woke up to find out she came back to my apartment since her son is still living with us(he is being evicted in housing court as we speak)so I assume he let her in. I was so scared and called the police right away. The police who came said unfortunately since the court didn't give me a paper saying all this and all I had was my now expired paper and ajournment slip, they couldn't remove although they were appauled by her and her actions. They gave me a report and i will be going first thing on Monday to speak with my attorney. Does anyone know if she will face consequences for disobeying the judges order to not return? Thanks in advance everyone.

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I had a order of protection against someone i am living with because of threats made against me and my children. The judge ordered a temp. Order of protection until yesterday when we were to see him again and get attorneys. I was in court waiting all day yesterday since out judge was in trial until 4:30. When we finally were called my attorney was not available so the case was adjourned til monday. The respondant had her attorney ask if she could return back to our apartment until Monday, but the judge said no because of the seriousness of the threats against me and my kids, she has no legal right to be there right now. Those were his exact words. They gave me an ajournment slip. And I assumed we would be safe until Monday. But i woke up to find out she came back to my apartment since her son is still living with us(he is being evicted in housing court as we speak)so I assume he let her in. I was so scared and called the police right away. The police who came said unfortunately since the court didn't give me a paper saying all this and all I had was my now expired paper and ajournment slip, they couldn't remove although they were appauled by her and her actions. They gave me a report and i will be going first thing on Monday to speak with my attorney. Does anyone know if she will face consequences for disobeying the judges order to not return? Thanks in advance everyone.
If she goes in front of the same judge who told her to stay away, sure, she could face consequences. It's possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">