• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just found my biological father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abercrombiea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in CA, and was wondering about something. My mother never married my biological father, but married another man who adopted me. So his name is listed as father on my birth certificate. I was wondering, once the paternity test comes back positive, which I'm sure it will, how can I go about getting my biological father's name on my birth certificate? I was born in Utah, but as I've stated, live in California. Any advice would be great. Thanks!!:cool:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in CA, and was wondering about something. My mother never married my biological father, but married another man who adopted me. So his name is listed as father on my birth certificate. I was wondering, once the paternity test comes back positive, which I'm sure it will, how can I go about getting my biological father's name on my birth certificate? I was born in Utah, but as I've stated, live in California. Any advice would be great. Thanks!!:cool:
How old are you?

justalayman

Well, since a birth certificate reflects the legal father rather than the biological father, it would require an adoption of you by your bio father and an amendment of your birth certificate. Since your mother would not be involved, I believe it would remove your mother from your birth certificate.

a note: I do not believe a birth certificate should list "legal" parents but biological parents. To me, it is supposed to be a record of the facts at the time of birth and listing a legal parent or allowing it to me amended to reflect adoptive parents makes the parentage listed basically meaningless as far as facts present at the time of birth.

commentator

My question is "Who cares?" Once you're of age, except for curiosity value, what difference does it make and why would it be worth doing a whole lot of changing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">