• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just need to know the options for this.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hootyhoo

Riverside, Calif.

Here’s the scenario. The two kids are 18 years old and living with mother. Their grandfather (their dads father) died and left them with 25000 a piece. The mother neither needs or want to have anything to do with this money. The father claims that the money was actually left for him, but put it in the kids name so none of his brothers could touch it. The brother left any ties with dad a year ago. When he turn 18 he went and got his money. The daughter was made to feel guilty and went down to get the check, and not signing it gave it to her father. Now she wants it back but the father will not give it to her. The bank will not rewrite another check for 2 months. That one is still being verified. She’s now starting college and wanting a car. The son went out and bought one with his money, and the daughter can’t. What would you do. Thanks

Antigone*

Riverside, Calif.

Here’s the scenario. The two kids are 18 years old and living with mother. Their grandfather (their dads father) died and left them with 25000 a piece. The mother neither needs or want to have anything to do with this money. The father claims that the money was actually left for him, but put it in the kids name so none of his brothers could touch it. The brother left any ties with dad a year ago. When he turn 18 he went and got his money. The daughter was made to feel guilty and went down to get the check, and not signing it gave it to her father. Now she wants it back but the father will not give it to her. The bank will not rewrite another check for 2 months. That one is still being verified. She’s now starting college and wanting a car. The son went out and bought one with his money, and the daughter can’t. What would you do. Thanks
What did dad say when she asked him for the money back?

ecmst12

She could sue dad for it, but it's too much for small claims so she'd need a lawyer. However, she could pay a lawyer $100 or so to write dad a threatening letter, to start with. That could be enough to get him to give her back the check.

Hootyhoo

The problem is:

First of all thanks for the replies.
The problem is that she and everyone else is scared of her dad so much that do not confront him at any level. Can't she just file charges or threaten to file charges of,... well not I really don't know what it would be seeing as how she gave him the check in the first place. Him not giving it back to her might be construed as theft in some way, and there was nothing other than a verbal agreement. I do realize at times verbal agreements do carry weight and thats were I'm lost. I am siding towards the file charge threat, and when he doubts her, she calls the police. The police go out to his house to collect the check and he either gives it to them or he lies and says he doesn't have it. I believe the latter will be the result thinking that he might be covered by the fact that it is locked in his safe. Now where does it go from there. How can she get a subpoena for him tho open the safe. The problem here is if he has any smarts will remove the check from his premise after the first visit or even her threat. Hmmmm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">