• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kicking someone out not on lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottycachezere

(tx) Hello all, my question is regarding my girlfriend who moved in with me recently. She has been here for a little over 2 months and now she needs to leave asap because she isnt paying me squat. She is not on the lease at all and I want to kick her out. I need to know the minimal (if any) amount of time I have to give her to move her stuff out. My hope is that it is somewhere between 24 and 48 hours(a weekend) as I want to be there while she is moving out so she does not sabotage my stuff. I know me kicking her out is not going to go well and i do not like the idea of her having a key to my apartment while I am in class because I am pretty sure she will take something that is not hers or that something will "accidentally break".

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated
Scotty

justalayman

actually you are probably looking at 30 days minimum depending upon any agreement you had with each other

what sort of agreement did the two of you have pertaining to money and apartment expenses?

scottycachezere

It was known from the start it was temporary. There was never a time for how long she would be there or anything like that. She said she would help with bills etc., has not happened and we have broken up and I want her out.

justalayman

she is a tenant and you are her landlord. as such you need to give her notice at least as long as whatever the rentalperiod is.

If she as supposed to pay $xx/ month, she gets 1 month. If she was supposed to pay $xx/weekly, she gets a week.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So if there was never an established payment schedual at all it was literally throw me some cash whenever is there a minimum?
30 days written notice. If you give her written notice now she has to be out by the end of July. that is to be on the safe side. You may not like it but you chose to have her there without a written agreement and without her being on the lease. You became her landlord. You can ask her to leave this weekend but she doesn't have to -- you need to follow the state's landlord tenant laws with you as the landlord. Google them.

LdiJ

30 days written notice. If you give her written notice now she has to be out by the end of July. that is to be on the safe side. You may not like it but you chose to have her there without a written agreement and without her being on the lease. You became her landlord. You can ask her to leave this weekend but she doesn't have to -- you need to follow the state's landlord tenant laws with you as the landlord. Google them.
I agree...however she could voluntarily leave (with her stuff or with an appointment to get her stuff) and you could get your landlord to change the locks before the 30 days was up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree...however she could voluntarily leave (with her stuff or with an appointment to get her stuff) and you could get your landlord to change the locks before the 30 days was up.
Correct. Sorry I didn't add that. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">