+ Reply to Thread
    scottycachezere is offline Junior Member

kicking someone out not on lease

(tx) Hello all, my question is regarding my girlfriend who moved in with me recently. She has been here for a little over 2 months and now she needs to leave asap because she isnt paying me squat. She is not on the lease at all and I want to kick her out. I need to know the minimal (if any) amount of time I have to give her to move her stuff out. My hope is that it is somewhere between 24 and 48 hours(a weekend) as I want to be there while she is moving out so she does not sabotage my stuff. I know me kicking her out is not going to go well and i do not like the idea of her having a key to my apartment while I am in class because I am pretty sure she will take something that is not hers or that something will "accidentally break".

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated
    Scotty
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    actually you are probably looking at 30 days minimum depending upon any agreement you had with each other

what sort of agreement did the two of you have pertaining to money and apartment expenses?
    None really, nothing in writing at all.
    It was known from the start it was temporary. There was never a time for how long she would be there or anything like that. She said she would help with bills etc., has not happened and we have broken up and I want her out.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    she is a tenant and you are her landlord. as such you need to give her notice at least as long as whatever the rentalperiod is.

If she as supposed to pay $xx/ month, she gets 1 month. If she was supposed to pay $xx/weekly, she gets a week.
    So if there was never an established payment schedual at all it was literally throw me some cash whenever is there a minimum?
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycachezere View Post
    So if there was never an established payment schedual at all it was literally throw me some cash whenever is there a minimum?
    30 days written notice. If you give her written notice now she has to be out by the end of July. that is to be on the safe side. You may not like it but you chose to have her there without a written agreement and without her being on the lease. You became her landlord. You can ask her to leave this weekend but she doesn't have to -- you need to follow the state's landlord tenant laws with you as the landlord. Google them.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    30 days written notice. If you give her written notice now she has to be out by the end of July. that is to be on the safe side. You may not like it but you chose to have her there without a written agreement and without her being on the lease. You became her landlord. You can ask her to leave this weekend but she doesn't have to -- you need to follow the state's landlord tenant laws with you as the landlord. Google them.
    I agree...however she could voluntarily leave (with her stuff or with an appointment to get her stuff) and you could get your landlord to change the locks before the 30 days was up.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    I agree...however she could voluntarily leave (with her stuff or with an appointment to get her stuff) and you could get your landlord to change the locks before the 30 days was up.
    Correct. Sorry I didn't add that.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.