• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids home alone for a week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SconeBaker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My in-laws have this crazy idea about going to Mexico for a week and leaving the kids behind. They think the kids will be fine on their own.

I understand NJ doesn't have a law for this.

The time of this vacation, my kids will be 17 and 14.

Yes, they both are mature and responsible.

BUT we have pets, gone that long, they will need to do laundry, cook etc. sure they can learn, but I really question why I would leave my kids home alone for a week. We have no relatives in the state. They have activities to go to. The legal age to drive here is 17, so if my eldest has his license, I'm unsure whether he can have his brother in the car.

I guess I know what how I feel....a week away in a different country, I'm not comfortable with. Am I crazy?

AdjunctFL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My in-laws have this crazy idea about going to Mexico for a week and leaving the kids behind. They think the kids will be fine on their own.

I understand NJ doesn't have a law for this.

BUT we have pets, gone that long, they will need to do laundry, cook etc. sure they can learn, but I really question why I would leave my kids home alone for a week. We have no relatives in the state. They have activities to go to. The legal age to drive here is 17, so if my eldest has his license, I'm unsure whether he can have his brother in the car.

I guess I know what how I feel....a week away in a different country, I'm not comfortable with. Am I crazy?
Who is going to Mexico? At first it sounded like they were going, and then it seemed to suggest that you were going with them.

adjusterjack

No way would I leave a pair of teenagers home alone for a week no matter how mature and responsible they are.

That's just insane.

Maybe an overnight if they were in touch by phone and we were in the same town, but that's it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No way would I leave a pair of teenagers home alone for a week no matter how mature and responsible they are.
Ouch...that hurts...considering that, at 17, I had a full time job and my own apartment with my girlfriend.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are not in the least crazy. Your in-laws are, if they think this is anything less than a disaster waiting to happen. It's not just your kids; it's all the other kids who'll be passing the word, "Hey, Bob's parents are gone for a week - PARTY AT BOB'S HOUSE!!!" with or without Bob's agreement, and possibly even over Bob's, "Hey, guys, you can't be here/do that!"

quincy

You are not in the least crazy. Your in-laws are, if they think this is anything less than a disaster waiting to happen. It's not just your kids; it's all the other kids who'll be passing the word, "Hey, Bob's parents are gone for a week - PARTY AT BOB'S HOUSE!!!" with or without Bob's agreement, and possibly even over Bob's, "Hey, guys, you can't be here/do that!"
Oh, that is soooo not what happened when my parents had my oldest sister at age 17 watch us when they were away for a week. My sister took her job of watching us so seriously, we actually asked our parents to replace her with a sitter. :)

I think it really depends on the children involved.

Silverplum

When Mr. P. was teaching, we had a lunatic single mother drop her kids/his students at our house on her way to the airport for an overseas trip. She did not make prior arrangements. :eek:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

That's just insane.

Maybe an overnight if they were in touch by phone and we were in the same town, but that's it.
My parents left my and my youngest sibling alone while they went to Mexico for a week (Dad had won the trip at work). I was 17, my sibling was 15. We survived, no parties, no problems. We made it to school on time and participated in our activities as we normally did. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, that is soooo not what happened when my parents had my oldest sister at age 17 watch us when they were away for a week. My sister took her job of watching us so seriously, we actually asked our parents to replace her with a sitter. :)

I think it really depends on the children involved.
It's a different generation, Q.

LdiJ

Thinking of ME at that age ... NOOOOO way :D
My parents left us alone for at least a few weekends and at least one long weekend when I was 17, but I do not think anything was as long as a week, until after I was a legal adult.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My oldest stayed home alone while my youngest and I (and grandma) went abroad for 10 days. #1 did have dinner w/grandpa daily (but that was more for grandpa's sake). The neighbors knew I'd be away (and #1 knew they knew). No problems. #1 was..... 14.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">