• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ky - Stepchild or Not after divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gdesigner

Would my children still be considered my ex-husbands step-children after we were divorced. We got divorced, however, we shortly got back together and have lived together since.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If you are divorced from him, and merely living together, those kids are no more his stepchildren than they are mine. The answer is "No".

IAAL

MySonsMom

I did find the laws regarding 3rd party visitation rights, and in Kentucky any interested party can file for visitation of children. Would this apply?

LegalBeagle

MySonsMom said:
I did find the laws regarding 3rd party visitation rights, and in Kentucky any interested party can file for visitation of children. Would this apply?
That is because in KY, 95% of the people are related anyway..

MySonsMom

That is because in KY, 95% of the people are related anyway..
[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL LB! It's kind of scary though, knowing that in some states ANY interested party can file for visitation. What the h*ll happened to parents making their own decisions regarding their own children? Geeesh.

M

megram

step parents

I don't pretend to know anything, but it's my understanding that 'step parent' is a social term, not a legal one. I thought a person is a step parent only if the child lives with them and the real parent is deceased.

MySonsMom

Re: step parents

megram said:
I don't pretend to know anything, but it's my understanding that 'step parent' is a social term, not a legal one. I thought a person is a step parent only if the child lives with them and the real parent is deceased.
Step parent is a person that is married to someone with children, therefore becoming a "step parent" to those children. Doesn't matter if the "other" parent is deceased or not. It is a legal term as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">