• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spark1822

I have divorced my wife and she kept my last name. We have one daughter who has my last name. She is unwed and pregnant to a baby that isn't fathered by me. Can I do anything to keep her from using my last name? I am from Georgia.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. Not in Georgia or any other state either. There is nothing you can do to stop her from using HER last name. It is not yours exclusively; you do not hold a patent or a copyright on it and if she took your name at the time of the marriage it is now legally hers as well.

Just Blue

I have divorced my wife and she kept my last name. We have one daughter who has my last name. She is unwed and pregnant to a baby that isn't fathered by me. Can I do anything to keep her from using my last name? I am from Georgia.
Why would you care? Do you have a "snowflake" name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">