• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last name change after marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarlaMargusino

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi! I'm getting married soon and I need to know what do I have to do to legally change my last name to my husband's last name. I've been looking online but it's very confusing, I don't know if changing it at the DMV or SSA will sufice or if I have to change it everywhere, one by one. Also, there's a bunch of websites that offer forms and programs to change your last name for about $50, Does anyone know if those type of programs are worth purchasing at all?
Thanks 4 the help!

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

No need to pay a service for the name change. When you get your official marriage license completed, take a copy to the local social security office to have your name changed. Then go to get your new driver's license with proof of your name change.

:)

lawadvice08

Name Change

Haha, I just went through this myself (for the second time). 1st you must receive your marriage certificate (as the above stated). You can actually download the form to change your name at the SS office (http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=315) and mail it in along with your original marriage certificate, unless you're impatient you can go to your local office. As someone stated b4 your then take your new ss card AND marriage certificate to the DMV to change your license. Good luck! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">