• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law on getting my girlfriend out of my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

captng1

Hi,
I'm wondering what the law is in the state of Florida on getting my girlfriend out of my house? She has been living with me for a year and helps pay a little of household costs, but is not under any lease agreement. The relationship is done, and I want her to leave. Does she have any legal right to stay? Do I have to write her an eviction notice, and if so, how long does she have to get out?
Thanks for your help.
Captng1

Eekamouse

Hi,
I'm wondering what the law is in the state of Florida on getting my girlfriend out of my house? She has been living with me for a year and helps pay a little of household costs, but is not under any lease agreement. The relationship is done, and I want her to leave. Does she have any legal right to stay? Do I have to write her an eviction notice, and if so, how long does she have to get out?
Thanks for your help.
Captng1
If it's an acrimonious split, might I suggest you do a few things to protect yourself between the time you serve her notice and the time she leaves. Take all your important paperwork and store it somewhere away from your house where she cannot get access to it. Anything you value that she might destroy or take because she is angry, get that out of there, too. Serve her by both handing her a written notice and also by certified mail. Keep the documentation for the certified letter somewhere not at your house. Take photos of your house with time/date stamp and with a copy of that day's newspaper in the photos to use as proof later of any damage she does if she is angry you're kicking her out. People are really shifty these days and you need to do what you can to protect yourself. Just sayin'.

Just Blue

If it's an acrimonious split, might I suggest you do a few things to protect yourself between the time you serve her notice and the time she leaves. Take all your important paperwork and store it somewhere away from your house where she cannot get access to it. Anything you value that she might destroy or take because she is angry, get that out of there, too. Serve her by both handing her a written notice and also by certified mail. Keep the documentation for the certified letter somewhere not at your house. Take photos of your house with time/date stamp and with a copy of that day's newspaper in the photos to use as proof later of any damage she does if she is angry you're kicking her out. People are really shifty these days and you need to do what you can to protect yourself. Just sayin'.
Very good advice! :cool:

In, I "think", IL a woman was P.O.ed at her BF and placed his dog in the oven, turned in the heat, placed a chair against the door and left the home. What kind of sick (fill in the blank) does that????????????????:(

captng1

Good advice Eekamouse. Thanks :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">