• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawsuit between father and daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Ksma99

My father is threatening to sue me for the balance of monies that I accepted from him. The money totals 48k and was offered to me and my fiancee as a construction loan to allow us to build a house or buy one while he had the money available. My question is, can he actually sue me after I typed and had notorarized a legal promissory note to such effect and no date or time was ever specified. I am also a f/t student and am not working now. Will have B.S.N. in 2 yrs. and have asked father to extend loan to me until I am working as an R.N. But he refuses and he is wealthy enough to wait two yrs. Please advise if I should continue to seek legal help and protect myself and our new home.
I live in florida.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your question is not a "Family Law" question, per se. While it's true that yours is a matter between father and daughter, it has nothing to do with divorce, separation, annulment, child support, etc.

Rather, this is purely a contract question. Even though you are, in fact, father and daughter, the courts would merely look at this as two separate litigants fighting over the meaning of, and issues relating to, a contractual issue.

Therefore, please post your issues and questions in the "Contracts" law board on this site.

Thank you, and I hope you can find a resolution without having to go to court.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">