• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving with children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coolgirl_95076

What is the name of your state? California
My question is I am moving to Arizona and I would like to know my rights before I leave with my two children, (4 year old, and nine months) I havent decided if I am going to file for divorce but I am going to Arizona because I have family there and I can have some breathing space to think. Will I have to come back to California if i do decide to get a divorce?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

coolgirl_95076 said:
What is the name of your state? California
My question is I am moving to Arizona and I would like to know my rights before I leave with my two children, (4 year old, and nine months) I havent decided if I am going to file for divorce but I am going to Arizona because I have family there and I can have some breathing space to think. Will I have to come back to California if i do decide to get a divorce?

My response:

If your husband files for dissolution BEFORE you're able to satisfy the "residency requirements" of Arizona, then yes, you'll have to come back to California. California is the children's "home State" under the law. If you don't come back, he'll obtain orders that will grant him custody - - allowing him to go to Arizona, find you and your children, and take the children back with him.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">