+ Reply to Thread
    NebMom Guest

Legal Age of Independence

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My 17 yr old daughter is an abusive drug user who continually disrupts our household. We have tried treatment & counselling and everything else we can think of over the past 2 years with no improvement. Her behavior is increasingly violent and I have told her that she I am drawing the line in the sand. She can conform to the minimum standards of our household - go to school regularly, no drugs/alcohol consumption in our home, no violent behavior - or she can leave. She claims that I can't legally make her leave until she is 19 yrs old. And she has no intention of voluntarily leaving. She has no criminal record and I have been told that making her a ward of the state would be very diffiult for me. My question: As custodial parent do I have any rights that would allow me to make her move out of my home before her 19th birthday if she chooses to continually disrupt my household and the lives of the other members of our family?
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member

Re: Legal Age of Independence

Originally posted by NebMom
    What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My 17 yr old daughter is an abusive drug user who continually disrupts our household. We have tried treatment & counselling and everything else we can think of over the past 2 years with no improvement. Her behavior is increasingly violent and I have told her that she I am drawing the line in the sand. She can conform to the minimum standards of our household - go to school regularly, no drugs/alcohol consumption in our home, no violent behavior - or she can leave. She claims that I can't legally make her leave until she is 19 yrs old. And she has no intention of voluntarily leaving. She has no criminal record and I have been told that making her a ward of the state would be very diffiult for me. My question: As custodial parent do I have any rights that would allow me to make her move out of my home before her 19th birthday if she chooses to continually disrupt my household and the lives of the other members of our family?
    My response:

The legal age of adulthood is 18 years of age, and has been so since 1972. She has to leave the house sometime - - so, when she does, get a locksmith to change all the house locks and put all of her clothes in boxes on the front porch. Leave a note for her saying, "Have a nice life. Love Mom."

IAAL
    Last edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE; 07-12-2002 at 06:40 PM.