• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal age to move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babigurl4life56

i live in florida and im 14 years old my dad is mentally abusive and he physically abusive to i wanted to know wat the legal age to move out is or get emicipated in florida well we are moving to north carolina but if i can move out i will go to my friends house here in florida so do i go with the floida laws or north carolina and what is the legal age of both states :confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until you are an adult - 18 - your parents have you in their care & control. If you move out prior to your 18th birthday, they can contact the authorities to have you returned home and/or placed in the state's care. Anyone who allows you to stay with them against your parents wishes could be criminally charged. In FL, you cannot legally become emancipated through the court unless you are at least 16. Here's the FL info: http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/128011Emancipation.pdf?stateabbrev=/FL/

If your parents are moving and insist on your coming along with them - you don't have much choice.

If your Dad is abusive, you shoulc consider speaking with a school counselor, teacher, doctor (mandatory reporters), call the police when he starts, or call CPS yourself and report the abuse. But be aware that, if they find no concrete evidence - you'll still be living with Mom & Dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">