• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal age to move out oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlattalady

In Oregon can you move out with parental permission at age 17? If so,do legal papers need to be drawn up? Our son's girlfriend would like to live with us over the summer due to her families inability to agree on matters. I just want to make sure we are doing nothing against the rules by having her at our house. Advice would be greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?

moburkes

jlattalady said:
In Oregon can you move out with parental permission at age 17? If so,do legal papers need to be drawn up? Our son's girlfriend would like to live with us over the summer due to her families inability to agree on matters. I just want to make sure we are doing nothing against the rules by having her at our house. Advice would be greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?
Wow! My parents NEVER would have even considered such a thing. Ever!

Silverplum

moburkes said:
Wow! My parents NEVER would have even considered such a thing. Ever!
Man, my folks were uncool! Oh, but so were we as parents. Sheesh.

I'm puttin' down my $2 that Mumsy will be back in several months with this story: Underage GF is pg, my poor son whatever will he do, it's MY grandbaby AND I take care of him/her, and how can we force her to stay in OR. ;)

moburkes

Silverplum said:

I'm puttin' down my $2 that Mumsy will be back in several months with this story: Underage GF is pg, my poor son whatever will he do, it's MY grandbaby AND I take care of him/her, and how can we force her to stay in OR. ;)
Amazing...

And what family "agrees" with a 17-year-old? Mine certainly didn't.

Without parental permission? Well, what can your son do without your permission? Can he, say, drop out of school? Just curious.

Silverplum

I don't know. WITH permission, as OP says. Hmmm. I'd guess OP could use google. I don't happen to know OR law, nor do I know of anyone on FA who's up on OR family law.

OP, maybe try a free consult with a family lawyer. Many offer free initial consults. Check your yellow pages.

moburkes

Silverplum said:
I don't know. WITH permission, as OP says. Hmmm. I'd guess OP could use google. I don't happen to know OR law, nor do I know of anyone on FA who's up on OR family law.

OP, maybe try a free consult with a family lawyer. Many offer free initial consults. Check your yellow pages.
My fault, SP. I thought I read it twice, but apparently I didn't.
My apologizies to OP, too.

lol ya'll are crazy

if they giver her permission, then yes its legal...

i grew up in texas, and 6 mos after turning 17, and 5 years of abuse by stepfather and mom not doing anything...my best friend backed his truck up to the house, and i moved out in less than 2 hours...while mom was at work and stepdad was sleeping(he worked overnight)...my mom was fine with it, said she understood...stepdad thought he could call the cops, and they laughed at him, said i was 17 and there was nothing he could do...i lived 20 miles away, and never asked for a dime...

but like they said, be careful, cos theres a good chance she may get kn*cked up, and you'll be footin all 3 of them...realize what ur getting into...if you're really ok with this, i'd make sure your son and his g/f realize that although they live with you, they are now living together, so if it was me, i'd make sure they made a SMALL PORTION of their own way...as in pay something each month...my exes mom did that...if we were going to live there we both had to go to school and work, and if it became a hassle i would have to move back in with my cousin...she agreed to an extent we were "mature enough", but we didnt share a room, and had to sleep in different rooms, and that didnt mean we could sneak in and out while everyone else slept...and we couldnt have the door closed...it worked well, i didnt get pregnant, and when he went to college, he went with almost $5grand that he'd saved that year...and no, i never got pregnant, and he still kept his straight a's and grad'd college

ya i ramble get over it.....

looked around

cant find a quote on the legal age to leave home, but it appears that oregon teens can be emaciapated at 16, however she has to show she can support herself and take care of her own personal matters, without THEIR assistance...is this an option? how long untill she is 18?

i just thought...hope they dont haul @$$ to LV to get hitched when that happens...sorry had to say something smart...:p

Shay-Pari'e

ILOVEMYGSM3 said:
if they giver her permission, then yes its legal...

i grew up in texas, and 6 mos after turning 17, and 5 years of abuse by stepfather and mom not doing anything...my best friend backed his truck up to the house, and i moved out in less than 2 hours...while mom was at work and stepdad was sleeping(he worked overnight)...my mom was fine with it, said she understood...stepdad thought he could call the cops, and they laughed at him, said i was 17 and there was nothing he could do...i lived 20 miles away, and never asked for a dime...

but like they said, be careful, cos theres a good chance she may get kn*cked up, and you'll be footin all 3 of them...realize what ur getting into...if you're really ok with this, i'd make sure your son and his g/f realize that although they live with you, they are now living together, so if it was me, i'd make sure they made a SMALL PORTION of their own way...as in pay something each month...my exes mom did that...if we were going to live there we both had to go to school and work, and if it became a hassle i would have to move back in with my cousin...she agreed to an extent we were "mature enough", but we didnt share a room, and had to sleep in different rooms, and that didnt mean we could sneak in and out while everyone else slept...and we couldnt have the door closed...it worked well, i didnt get pregnant, and when he went to college, he went with almost $5grand that he'd saved that year...and no, i never got pregnant, and he still kept his straight a's and grad'd college

ya i ramble get over it.....
Personially, I don't like your rambling. It had nothing to do with the thread, it was just boring and not usefull on a legal site.

No it is not legal if they give her permission, not under the law.

ceara19

Silverplum said:

Even after I was a LEGAL ADULT, anytime I would visit my parents with a significant other that I was not married to, they would not allow us to stay in the same bedroom! If I didn't like their rules, I was free to stay in a hotel, which is what I have always done. It hasn't been brought up in years, but I'd bet they still wouldn't allow it.

AHA

jlattalady said:
Our son's girlfriend would like to live with us over the summer due to her families inability to agree on matters.
Would you like other adults to have your kid move in with them if you and your hubby didn't agree on something regarding your kid?

Let the girl and her parents handle where she is supposed to spend the summer. It is not for you or anyone else to get involved in.

Silverplum

ceara19 said:
Even after I was a LEGAL ADULT, anytime I would visit my parents with a significant other that I was not married to, they would not allow us to stay in the same bedroom! If I didn't like their rules, I was free to stay in a hotel, which is what I have always done. It hasn't been brought up in years, but I'd bet they still wouldn't allow it.
I love your parents. :D I never had the guts to try that stunt with mine, and I'm pretty sure our kids won't have the guts to try it with us. But just in case they do, we're ready with your parents' rule.

Meantime, OP is long, long, long gone. Oh, well. :p

ceara19

Silverplum said:
I love your parents. :D I never had the guts to try that stunt with mine, and I'm pretty sure our kids won't have the guts to try it with us. But just in case they do, we're ready with your parents' rule.

Meantime, OP is long, long, long gone. Oh, well. :p
It was one of those rules that was just known. I never even asked for them to make an exception. It was never really discussed because I knew how they felt and I respected there views. It was their house, their rules.

I

ilovemykids

butt out of gf's family life

jlattalady said:
whatever is going on in her house is NO business of yours. i suggest you stop trying to encourage her to live with you, before you get slapped with a restraining order. when shes 18, she can live wherever she pleases, untill then, she does what her parents say. if she were my daughter, id say HELL NO!

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

ilovemykids said:
whatever is going on in her house is NO business of yours. i suggest you stop trying to encourage her to live with you, before you get slapped with a restraining order. when shes 18, she can live wherever she pleases, untill then, she does what her parents say. if she were my daughter, id say HELL NO!
Will you ever learn Kelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">