• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal billing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

psue

Wyoming... In the process of retaining a good attorney, I called, emailed and faxed several. I inquired about their knowledge and rates. In the end.. I found a great attorney to handle my custody issues.
Now.. I have received a bill for $157.75 from an attorney [A] that I did not retain. The conversations with this attorney [A] started by emailing another and receiving a reply referring me. I then emailed that attorney [A] and inquired if they had time for another case, if they felt they could assist me, and what their rates were if they took the case. I received a reply stating before they could answer any of those questions they would like to see my divorce decree and parenting plan, to please fax it to them. I spent the $20 to fax and again asked the same questions. 2 weeks passed and during that time I made arrangements to meet with my ex out of state to discuss the issues. I then received a call from attorney [A]and explained that I was holding off as I was meeting with the ex in a few day but would call the attorney when I returned if was still needing services. I did not ask again about rates because at that point thought I would not need the attorneys services. I then met with the ex and found that I needed to retain an attorney in his state as that is where the children also reside.
I never contacted attorney [A] again because I didn't need their service. Now I have receive the bill for $157.75 - stating $113.46 to review the fax, $56.73 when the attorney called and I said I was meeting the ex [approx 10 min call] being charged for 30 min., and $6.00 for their secretary to prepare hardfile.
I feel I should not be responsible as I never retained this attorney, never agreed on rates, was never told about rates, and have documented emails showing that each time I inquired I asked about rates.
What rights do I have to contest this bill?
Pamela

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">