• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueliner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My ex wife and I both have seperate wills, however I'm wondering is there some form of legal joint document we should do in the even that both of us were to die stateing who our sons guardian would be. Obviously if I were to die my ex would have custody and if she were to die I would have custody. We both agree who our son would go to in the event we both die, I just want to know if there's a special document that both our names should be on.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I would think that you could add something along the lines that if Junior's mother predeceases you, then you would like So&So to be the guardian. Your ex could do the same thing with her will.

LdiJ

I would think that you could add something along the lines that if Junior's mother predeceases you, then you would like So&So to be the guardian. Your ex could do the same thing with her will.
You could also set up a standby guardianship. However, please be aware that if another family member were to challenge either your wishes in your will or a standby guardianship, a judge would have the option of choosing another guardian if the judge thought it was in the best interest of the child(ren).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">