• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

horn65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS
I want my son to live with his grandparents and go to a private school. I know that yhey need some type of authority but to what degree? We are all in agreement about the move just want to make sur thier are no pitfalls with giving them guardianship. Do they need guardianship,do they need anything in writing from his mother and i. We are divorced ,we have joint custody with me being the primary caregiver.

seniorjudge

There are actually "educational guardianships" in some states.

You must use a lawyer for this.

Also, some schools do not take children under such guardianships.

But, in your case, since it is a private school, they may not care.

You may also ask the school if they will accept a power of attorney from you and ma.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS
I want my son to live with his grandparents and go to a private school. I know that yhey need some type of authority but to what degree? We are all in agreement about the move just want to make sur thier are no pitfalls with giving them guardianship. Do they need guardianship,do they need anything in writing from his mother and i. We are divorced ,we have joint custody with me being the primary caregiver.
Since its a private school, they don't have to follow state or district guidelines for residency. Therefore, I believe that a Power of Attorney should be sufficient. I don't believe that guardianship would be necessary. In fact, the Power of Attorney wouldn't necessarily be needed for the school, because you can enrol the kids yourself in the private school. However, the Power of Attorney would be helpful for emergency medical decisions and things of that nature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">