• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Guardianship and claiming my niece dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boskeybpatel

Hello,
I do not understand much about laws or legal matters. Hence I need advice. I have my niece living with my family. She is currently attending a community college. Her parents are out of country. She has a green card. Her parents have one too but they do not live in US any more. For her financial aid, they keep rejecting it. After several attempts to find a proper explanation, they said they asked for the following in an email

Clarification of parental information (Are your parents out of the country? Are you legally adopted by Aunt & Uncle? Or does the distance with parents make you dependent on your aunt & uncle?)
Like I mentioned they live abroad. I have not adopted her, but she lives with her and I pay for everything related to her expenses.

o How long have you lived with your aunt & uncle.
She has been living with us for past 4 years

o Is there court documentation allowing them custody of you for the purpose of financial aid?
Do I need to provide a legal custody document? I claim her as a dependent but is that the same as having a legal custody?

o Can two you provide two letters on official letterhead stating that you are dependent on Aunt & Uncle?
How do i do this? Where do I get Official Letterhead? Who needs to sign them?

· Verification Worksheet, tax returns, W2’s, - if Aunt & Uncle are legal guardians you will succeed as ‘Independent’ & must provide break down of costs received on your behalf for 2011. (Housing, food, utilities, medical, personal and transportation expenses for each month)
Does this mean that If I am a legal guardian, then she is consider " independent"??
I am completely lost
Thank you
Boskey

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
These all sound like questions your neice needs to be answering. SO... maybe she needs to be here instead. Please encourage her to register and log in with her own account. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">