• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rayven M

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am getting ready to file for divorce.. but before I do I would like to know it the marriage is actually legal and if it is can I dispute it and how?.
On a whim I picked up a copy of our marriage lic when I picked up the divorce paper work.
I had never seen the actual paper and thought i might need it to complete the divorce

The marriage license was issued 8-7-91 and expired 11-5-91
we were married on 8-16-91 but the minister did not file the paperwork till 8-3-92
according to what I read on several sights the papers must be filed by the minister within 90days
example:
Marriage laws | LII / Legal Information Institute

we don't have any real property, have been separated for months and our daughter is 17
it seems a waste of court time and money to file for divorce if it is not truly legal in the first place

Thank you in advance for your time and help
RayvenWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">