• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to marry my stepson? Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmet4nzkx

This is incest plain and simple.

You came here knowing you can't legally marry your stepson, it doesn't matter if you are now divorced, you can't marry anyone untill you are free to do so. You ignored the legal advice and failed in this thread to disclose that your fiance is a criminal, in hopes someone would aid and abet you in this folly. You are one sick woman.

You Are Guilty

louisa01 said:
My ex-husband's reaction to the situation does not affect me one way or the other. I am saddened that my fiance' will not have a relationship with his father, but I think they were on the way to that anyway. I derive no pleasure or satisfaction, nor do I care to "get back at him". I don't work that way. I tried very hard, giving 150% to a dead marriage for 5 years, I simply decided that I wouldn't take it anymore.
Maybe we will come to Vegas. It would be fun.
As far as the sarcastic remarks, I just wanted legal advice and facts. I really don't care about opinions. Thanks for the legal advice. I think we're done here.
Just move to Kentucky. They encourage this sort of marriage there (it expands their gene pool).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
rmet4nzkx said:
You are one sick woman.
And this is NOT opinionated, rmet? You just finished scolding a whole bunch of posters for being so. Isn't that just a *tad* hypocritical?

rmet4nzkx

stealth2 said:
And this is NOT opinionated, rmet? You just finished scolding a whole bunch of posters for being so. Isn't that just a *tad* hypocritical?
Incest is generally considered to be both a moral and criminal action, that's why there are laws against it. In addition to the legal aspects, louisa came here knowing she could not legally marry in Michigan , further neglected to add that her stepson was also in prision and wanted us to aid an abet her in this crime so she started a slightly less revealing thread and finally got a response which I made in good faith.
rmet4nzkx said:
Prohibited Marriages: There is a distinction between prohibited marriages that will not be recognized by the state regardless of the capacity of the parties (and are, therefore, invalid or void), and those that could be valid but are voidable due to some incapacity of the parties.

Two mirror-image statutes provide:

"No man shall marry his mother, grandmother, daughter, granddaughter, stepmother, grandfather's wife, son's wife, grandson's wife, wife's mother, wife's grandmother, wife's daughter, wife's grand-daughter, nor his sister, brother's daughter, sister's daughter, father's sister, or mother's sister, or cousin of the first degree. " MCL 551.3; MSA 25.3.

"No woman shall marry her father, grandfather, son, grandson, stepfather, grandmother's husband, daughter's husband, granddaughter's husband, husband 's father, husband 's grandfather, husband's son, husband's grandson, nor her brother, brother's son, sister's son, father's brother, mother's brother, or cousin of the first degree. " MCL 551.4; MSA 25.4.

"No marriage shall be contracted whilst either of the parties has a former wife or husband living, unless the marriage with such former wife or husband, shall have been dissolved." MCL 551.5; MSA 25.5.

Thus, the law prohibits marriages up to 2 generations apart (up to grandparents; down to grand-children), and also prohibits many but not all "in-law" (e.g., son's wife and wife's mother, but not brother's wife or wife's sister) and "step" unions (e.g., stepmother). A decreasing number of states prohibit marriages based upon affinity. Michigan's Criminal Sexual Conduct statutes, it might be noted, use the very broad phrase "the actor is related to the victim by blood or affinity to the fourth degree. "
Based on the facts, louisa's lack of logic and thought patterns, failure to disclose facts or to consier or integrate the consequences of her intent, in my professional opinion, she is sick. NO I will not encourage this behavior.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You're very fond of researching prior posts, so I'm surprised you didn't do so this time - then you'd have known that she had posted about it. She even said she'd posted before about it. And professional or not - it's an OPINION. Any decent professional would delve a little more deeply before rendering an OPINION.

rmet4nzkx

stealth2 said:
You're very fond of researching prior posts, so I'm surprised you didn't do so this time - then you'd have known that she had posted about it. She even said she'd posted before about it. And professional or not - it's an OPINION. Any decent professional would delve a little more deeply before rendering an OPINION.
While it is true that I do research some prior posts, I don't research all of them. OP's initial post on this thread, although it acknowledged a prior post that went unanswered, was straight forward and I simply cited the appropriate Michigan law.

I thanked you for posting the other thread because I had not looked at it. My reference in the other thread was re PERSONAL OPINIONS different than your reference to OPINIONS in general and different than PROFESSIONAL OPINION which is based on facts in evidence. Please don't misrepresent or misconstrew my intent because you fail to make appropriate reference or cite. There was no need to delve more deeply to answer louisa's question.

The fact that she doesn't accept the reality of her situation or intent is a part of her pathology.

All of your arguments make no difference in the current laws in the state of Michigan, do you have other advice?

rmet4nzkx

stealth2 said:
yeah - go whine to Mary about me. :rolleyes:
To what purpose?
You have wasted a lot of time here squabbling over non issues here, instead of taking the time to research an answer on this thread https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=283568 and answer the question presented rather than losing focus and causing OP there to at first leave without the answer to the question and an unrealistic assessment of the options. Because of the distraction you caused here, I was delayed in responding to that thread, however, I did answer the question with appropriate citaitons based on the facts in evidence. Luckily, OP returned and got their advice and will relay it to the maternal grandparents. I am waiting to get jumped on there. :rolleyes: I am such a meanie and so opinionated to cite law on a legal forum insead of personal opinion.

dallas702

Oh, good grief!

Sign up for the Jerry Springer show. He'll probably marry you two right there....after the fight.

Last edited:

nextwife

I don't care if one shares genes or not, if one is related by "blood" or not.

If the relationship was formerly that of parent-child, then "going sexual" sure seems like incest to me. As an adoptive parent, I don't care if one became a family by law or birth, once one has been a parent or parent figure to someone THEY SHOULDN'T GO THERE. EVER.

Yes, I acknowledge this is an "opinion". But one can be a parent without being related by blood. It would still be incest.

Last edited:

louisa01

Help!!!!!!!! Where is a moderator when you need one? Can we just end this? I got my answer, thanks for the legal advice, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the unsolicited advice. Sounds like someone's got some growing up to do!!!!! Obviously someone has a lot of time on their hands. Maybe you could go and get a job???

Smatchet

dallas702 said:
Oh, good grief!

Sign up for the Jerry Springer show. He'll probably marry you two right there....after the fight.
Was this directed to the OP . . . or to Rmet and Stealth? :D

BTW, since everyone's tossing out opinions . . . is it really a parent-child relationship if stepson was 18 at the start of OP's 5 year marriage to his dad? I agree it's twisted, but incestuous? That might be stretching it a bit. Given the guy's age, she probably wasn't a "mother figure". At least I hope she wasn't. (where's the "retching" smilie when you need it?)

louisa01

negative comments directed towards rmet. I was not a mother figure to this man. He lived with us for about 6 months, during which time we worked opposite schedules and I rarely saw him. My husband at the time, his father, handled his own children as far as discipline and the like. I took him to dr. appointments, dropped him off at work a few times, etc., but he was an adult.

louisa01 said:
negative comments directed towards rmet. I was not a mother figure to this man. He lived with us for about 6 months, during which time we worked opposite schedules and I rarely saw him. My husband at the time, his father, handled his own children as far as discipline and the like. I took him to dr. appointments, dropped him off at work a few times, etc., but he was an adult.
Well, you've gotten advice about where you can and cannot legally marry your stepson. And. a lot of unsolicited advice whether or not should be considered an incestuous relationship.

Here is a little real life advice from another woman your age. I personally agree that you did not have any kind of mother/son relationship with this person due to your marriage from your perspective. He was already an adult when you became his stepmother. But, even if you had never been married to his father, you better make sure he doesn't have some mother issues. There is a twenty year age difference between you. Now that doesn't always mean there is a problem. And, this can happen whether it is older man/younger woman or older woman/younger man. But very often the younger person has some serious issues and is looking for a "parent" to take care of them. Unless you want to face another divorce in 5 years, make sure that is not the case here.

rmet4nzkx

louisa,
This is freeadvice.com, you asked a question, you got the correct legal legal response and didn't like it. Don't worry, it won't be the first time it happens in life, especially the one you have chosen. It does't matter the age of your stepson, if he was an adult or not, he was barely so and he did live with you. In many families, one parent has little interaction with the stepchild or the bio parent does the interaction and discipline, it still doesn't change the relationship and affiliation otherwise all these step fathers who rape their step daughters would be able to use your same excuse, just because you are a woman doesn't mean that you can have an incestuious relationship with your stepson. Why is he in prision anyway?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">