• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal name change advice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buddy1995

Hi, My divorce became finalized on December 16, 1999 and just prior to that time, my attorney (who was handling my case from California...I moved to my present location in Colorado Springs in December of 1997) had put in the request to change my name back from my married name to my maiden name.

I recently went down to the County Courthouse here and obtained a packet of information to change my complete name (which I would have had liked to do originally, but my attorney had processed the request for the married name to the maiden name and had told me it was too late since the paperwork was already submitted.)

My question is: I am not understanding parts of the process involved with the packet I obtained and it states in there, that neither the courthouse nor the newspaper office, at which one must submit a request to be printed, can help in any way with the process of offering help or advice to complete the forms. Is there any way that I can find the answers to questions I may have WITHOUT having to pay an attorney or any legal fees to get this change done?

Also, after my divorce was finalized, I never had such information as bank accounts, driver's license information or Social Security card information completely changed over and all my information still shows my married name for the most part. Am I doing anything illegal in not having had these things changed over to my legal name right away?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">