+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Legal Recourse?

  1. #1
    shynchitown Guest

    Legal Recourse?

    We live in Illinois. A woman has contacted my husband claiming that he is the father of her 20 year old son. She threatened to sue him. In light of the fact that the child is 20 years old, what can she sue him for?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003

    I presume he never signed a paternity acknowledgement?

    or took a DNA test to establish paternity? THat this has only NOW been brought up and was not filed previously when the child was small?

    If so:

    I can't imagine WHAT she expects to sue for. The age at which CS ends in IL is 18, and she can't sue at age 20 retroactively to recieve anything prior to the filing date.


    D. Age of Majority

    D1. What is the age of majority in your State?

    D2. What is the statutory cite for the age of majority?
    755 ILCS 5/11-1 and (750 ILCS 5/505)

    D3. If not addressed in the order, at what age is child support automatically terminated as a matter of State law? Qualify, if necessary.
    Under Illinois law the duty to support ends at the age of 18 unless the order provides otherwise.

    As to retroactive support, it appears they can only go back 2 years, and the child was already past age of majority 2 years ago:

    I4.1. If so, for what prior periods (e.g., birth of the child, date of separation, prenatal expenses, 5 years retroactive)?
    Support may be established back to the date of birth in a parentage or back to date of separation in an abandonment case. In a parentage action brought within 2 years after a child's birth, the judgment or order may direct either parent to pay the reasonable expenses incurred by either parent related to the mother's pregnancy and the delivery of the child. (750 ILCS 5/505; Public Aid Code 10-10,11,11.1)

    Last edited by nextwife; 09-18-2003 at 01:01 PM.
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Also, from the same website nextwife posted:

    E2. What is your State?s statute of limitations for paternity establishment?

    Generally, two years after the age of majority. However, the time during which any party is not subject to service of process or is otherwise not subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of this State shall toll the running of the statute.

    E3. Is dormancy revival/renewal possible?


    Your husband is going to want to contact an attorney and find out if the court can even order a DNA test, that is, if he has never been legally established as the child's father.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Do I have legal recourse?
    By imaudi77 in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
  2. any legal recourse here?
    By GIacona in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
  3. Do I have any legal recourse???
    By nikkums in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 05:04 PM
  4. legal recourse for legal guardianship
    By heartbreakermt in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2001, 10:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.