• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to repo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsAlyssa89

My husband's car is in my name even though he bought it can I legally repo the vehicle if he commits adultery is it an unethical and mean thing to do?

Men are such pigs!!

My husband's car is in my name even though he bought it can I legally repo the vehicle if he commits adultery is it an unethical and mean thing to do?
Well yeah, If the registration and or title is in your name only I suppose you could, legally repo your own car. However if his name is anywhere on the two documents you might have a problem on down the road if you two are planning on splitting up the sheets, it depends on the community property laws in the state that you reside in and have yet to name.
and..
is it unethical and mean thing to do?
I'm not about to go down that alley, ..:eek:
they say that hell has no fury like a women scorned....

..____________________________
~ I shoot from the hip and rarely miss,

my foot.

single317dad

Well yeah, If the registration and or title is in your name only I suppose you could, legally repo your own car. However if his name is anywhere on the two documents you might have a problem on down the road if you two are planning on splitting up the sheets, it depends on the community property laws in the state that you reside in and have yet to name.
Well, you might be right, or partially right. As you stated, some of this answer can depend on the state, as laws differ greatly. In my state, for example, spouse 1 can't deny spouse 2's access and use of a vehicle which has been their primary transportation even if spouse 1 is the named owner and has paid every dime toward the vehicle, even if they owned the vehicle prior to marriage! Even an unmarried person in a cohabitation arrangement might find themselves in a similar quandary. So, my answer to MsAlyssa89 has to default to "no, you may not take the car" until given information that confirms that "yes, indeed, you may".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">