• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Responsibility of Parents for 19 Year old daughter/stepdaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SuellenM

My husband and I are residents of New York State. His daughter, my stepdaughter attended a State University last year. She only wound up taking half of the classes that she was supposed to take and last semester she didn't pass any of them. We funded her college last semester. This semester we wanted her to live home and go to a local community college. However she refuses and insists that she is going back to the State University paying for same herself. I know that in New York State the parents must sign the financial aid applications until the student is 24 years of age. If we allow her to go to this university (looks like we have no choice actually) what are we responsible for? Are we responsible for the costs that she doesn't pay in connection with tuition, residence at college,etc. Are we responsible for any personal injury or property damages she may cause? Are we responsible for medical bills? Please answer as we are very confused as well as concerned.

M

morning_angel

SuellenM said:
My husband and I are residents of New York State. His daughter, my stepdaughter attended a State University last year. She only wound up taking half of the classes that she was supposed to take and last semester she didn't pass any of them. We funded her college last semester. This semester we wanted her to live home and go to a local community college. However she refuses and insists that she is going back to the State University paying for same herself. I know that in New York State the parents must sign the financial aid applications until the student is 24 years of age. If we allow her to go to this university (looks like we have no choice actually) what are we responsible for? Are we responsible for the costs that she doesn't pay in connection with tuition, residence at college,etc. Are we responsible for any personal injury or property damages she may cause? Are we responsible for medical bills? Please answer as we are very confused as well as concerned.
What does your court order specify? Are you responsible for support or tuition for his daughter through secondary school? Even if you are by court order, I believe that the "child" must maintain a passing GPA in order for you to continue paying for the education.

To the best of my knowledge, since she has not done so, if the court order requires you to pay for her secondary education, I believe you can petition the court to have it terminated.

If it does NOT require you to pay for her secondary education, tell the stepdaughter that you will only continue to help her if she attends the local community college as you offered, otherwise, she is on her own (which may be the best thing that could happen to her) If she decides not to take you up on your offer, write a letter to the college she was attending to notify them that you will no longer be responsible for her college expenses (although, you have to sign for each semester in order to be held responsible, it can't hurt to let them know formally that you will not continue to pay for expenses she incurrs)

As for you being required to sign financial aid forms until she is 24, if you do not sign, she cannot get financial aid. If she cannot pay, she cannot attend the school. If the only school you will pay for is a local community college, then when you submit the financial aid forms, ONLY indicate that school on the form. You must specify what school(s) the financial aid is going to, so you should be able to control the situation. If you fill out the financial aid forms for a community college, she cannot go to another school on those funds because the school will not get their money from financial aid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">