• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a legally and recognizable domestic partnership in the Commonwealth of VA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C130415

Virginia.

If I am not divorced from my husband. I hold full custody of our children, he is allowed visitation every third weekend. He lives with his girlfriend that he is putting on documents as his domestic partner. Is this valid, recognizable and legal in the Commonwealth of Virginia?

He is asking to put the boys on her health insurance, since he is already on it, but is that allowable since he and I are still married?

Please someone let me know. Because a friend of mine down in Fredericksburg/Ruther Glen area moved in with a married woman and she was made to get divorced first before she could have him move in. I'm not sure by whom, but I'm assuming it was by the state.

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Silverplum

Virginia.

If I am not divorced from my husband. I hold full custody of our children, he is allowed visitation every third weekend. He lives with his girlfriend that he is putting on documents as his domestic partner. Is this valid, recognizable and legal in the Commonwealth of Virginia?

He is asking to put the boys on her health insurance, since he is already on it, but is that allowable since he and I are still married?
What diff does it make? Any of these questions?
Seriously.
C130415 said:
Please someone let me know. Because a friend of mine down in Fredericksburg/Ruther Glen area moved in with a married woman and she was made to get divorced first before she could have him move in. I'm not sure by whom, but I'm assuming it was by the state.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sure. Right.
C130415 said:
Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
I advise you to read:
Common Law Marriage States - Divorce & Family Law Center

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not you and he are still legally married is completely irrevelant to the issue of putting the boys on her health insurance.

IF her insurance recognizes the children of a live-in partner of an insured as eligible dependents, then they may add them to her insurance regardless of your marital status. If they do not, then they could not add them to the insurance even if you were divorced.

It's how the boys are related (or not) to the insured that matters, not the marital status of the boys' parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">