• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FoxtrotNipples

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama/Kentucky

My mother and father were divorced, I was wondering if there was a legal contract that i could get both parties to sign that states if my father dies all life insurance goes to my brother and I. My mother will still get his retirement because thats how the army works. All i want is for my leech of a mother not to obtain the life insurance policy money. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

yes, it's called a designation of beneficiary. I suspect there is already a beneficiary designated.

why would your leech of a mother agree to anything other than she being the beneficiary?

nextwife

Dad must comply with whatever the divorce decree requires. If no order exists regarding life insurance, he may do what HE decides as to benficiary.

If you are an adult, you can also ask dad if he'd object to YOU buying a policy on him. You can designate anyone YOU WISH AS BENEFICIARY ON A POLICY YOU OWN.

Betty

If there is nothing in the divorce decree re the life ins., the OWNER of any life ins. policy on your Dad can change the beneficiary if they wish. You didn't say who was owner of the policy. (example - Dad, Mom)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">