• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lifetime dowry in Ky.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

muddplace5

Ky.
My mothers friend died & left her a lifetime dowry at his home.His children paid some type of inheritance tax when they probated his will.( They sold his farm & personal belongings)Now they are telling my mother she is responsible for what they paid on the house where she lives.My question is how can there be inheritance tax on something that was not sold? She already pays the personal taxes on the property.I thought a lifetime dowrey meant she could live in the house until she died
just like the house was hers without paying anything other than personal property taxes & utilities.The house is paid for.My Mother does not have the money to repay them as she is on fixed income & has very large medical bills.Will they be able to make her move?Please Help!!

R

rentertoo

what i dont understand is why you didnt get a lawyer as soon as the person died????

Cant your family come up with some money to make sure your mom stays in the home?

Lousy bunch of poor kids she raised.... RIGHT?

Sorry.. but I was raised to have family values...and this is one of them!

so get off your butt and hire mom a lawyer on Monday!

G

Grandma B

Post your question on the Wills & Probate board and you'll probably get a more intelligent response.

Seanscott

The kids paid the inheritance tax because THEY OWN the house. THEY INHERITED IT! They also "inherited" the agreement the deceased had with your mom. I assume when your mother passes away the house will go back to the children to do with whatever they want. Normally, the inheritance tax should have been covered by whatever cash the deceased had at the time of his death.

Sounds to me like the kids are upset that "their" house is being lived in rent-free and there isn't jackspit they can do about it.

Tell them to take a hike or sue you. I bet you won't hear much more about it. They should be responsible for repairs, etc. and if their names are now on the deed, they should even pay the property tax. Of course, if they don't pay the tax, your mom could be out in the cold. I doubt if they'll take care of the property either.

Don't let them push you around!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">