• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Live In Partner Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunndown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've been in a relationship with my partner off and on for over 20 years. During this time, we lived together off and on. We were in our "off" period for about a year, then he became terminally ill. In the past year, I would stay over to care for him. I gave up my apartment and moved back in with him in May of this year to care for him full time.

Two weeks ago, he passed away not leaving a Will. The family wants to sell the property and have demanded I move immediately, because they want to sell the townhouse.

What rights do I have? Can the family evict me right away? Do they have to give me time to find another apartment?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've been in a relationship with my partner off and on for over 20 years. During this time, we lived together off and on. We were in our "off" period for about a year, then he became terminally ill. In the past year, I would stay over to care for him. I gave up my apartment and moved back in with him in May of this year to care for him full time.

Two weeks ago, he passed away not leaving a Will. The family wants to sell the property and have demanded I move immediately, because they want to sell the townhouse.

What rights do I have? Can the family evict me right away? Do they have to give me time to find another apartment?
They would have to go through the formal process to evict you. I suggest that you find yourself an apartment ASAP. You ARE going to have to move, and why prolong the inevitable?

Roula

How long was the longest period of time you lived together?
When was it?
Is it long enough to be considered a common law relationship?

tranquility

There is not a common law relationship recognized in California. The OP might make a deal with the executor to stay in the house while it is being sold or distributed. He could tell them it will be cheaper to insure the place and he can otherwise watch over and keep it maintained during the time. However, he has no rights beyond a basic tenant.

outonbail

How long was the longest period of time you lived together?
When was it?
Is it long enough to be considered a common law relationship?
She claimed to have moved in with him in May of this year, two months ago. It doesn't matter if they lived together for 10 years right after high school, they were not married and their most recent relationship began two months ago.

She is entitled to being legally evicted, like everyone else who refuses to move out of a residence when asked nicely. She is not entitled to any of his property, although she may be responsible for half of his unpaid rent, utility and cable TV bills.....

I'd try to move out immediately,,,,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">