• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

living together property and gifts separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aliceyalice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

i'm beginning to think i made a mistake by moving in with a man i dated 20 years ago when we were both teens. i moved in with him 2 years ago and worked regularly. then he got a job for me in his office making considerably more than i had been. but the department i was in was shut down and everyone in it laid off. i have been unable to procure work now for over a year.

he doesn't want me to walk to a workplace, he wants to drive me, but he doesn't ever have the time or inclination to take me to interviews. he discourages my attempts to find employment outside the home. i have not left the house without his permission the entire time i have lived here.

because i have no income, he has purchased all of my clothing and incidentals and purchased gifts for me including a cell phone and a computer. lately he has been acting horribly, calling me by obscenities and even physically striking me on a few occasions. when i decided to leave, he informed me that i will go with only the things i have left from before i met him (i own not one shirt, not one pair of socks, from that time in my life anymore).

he began grabbing my keepsakes (photos, and family heirlooms that i had) and said he was throwing them into the street and i had to leave immediately or not at all. he said since he purchased everything from my make up to the shoes i was wearing that he was legally entitled to strip them from me and throw me out with nothing but my keepsakes which i had owned previous to moving in with him.

i have had live in arrangements before, but neither of those men did anything so extreme when i left them. they allowed me a month or two to divide our possessions amicably together, box up what we mutually decided were mine and transport them to my new home.

even though several different people have witnessed him claiming the computer and cell phone were gifts he made to me for birthdays and christmas, neither i nor he felt it was neccessary to point out that the shoes, clothes and make up were intended to be gifts to me as well. how do i handle moving out? the longer i stay, the less i have from the time before i lived with him.

Last edited:

wyett717

This man is obviously an abuser, as you have experienced. I would be more concerned about getting out safely than about "stuff" than can be replaced. Get out as soon as you can, or this will surely get worse. Best of luck to you.

aliceyalice

perhaps i should clarify what i mean by 'stuff'...to illustrate his point about who owns the clothes i wear, he pulled the shirt and bra off of my body and said, "you can't have these...i bought them. now get out if you're going to leave..."

LdiJ

Does he never leave the home himself? Does he not go to work? Do you have no family or friends?

For goodness sake make a plan. Get family or friends to help you, pack up the things that are important to you, and your clothing, and get the heck out.

Just Blue

Alice...You need to stop posting on other threads. This is a site that deals with legalities and you do not understand the law. Please stop misguiding other members by responding with what you "think is morally right" or how you "feel"... Thank you.

Silverplum

Alice...You need to stop posting on other threads. This is a site that deals with legalities and you do not understand the law. Please stop misguiding other members by responding with what you "think is morally right" or how you "feel"... Thank you.
I agree 100%.

If you don't know the law in the poster's state, hush up. You're not helping; in fact, you are harming.

Did you come here for valid advice? Would you like for someone to misinform you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">