• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

long separation & divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stuckinlimbo

I have been separated since 1981. I was not in contact with my former spouse until 1987. Thats when my ex told me we were legally divorced. I am engaged now and was encouraged to make sure my divorce was legal. I could not find the supposed papers filed anywhere. I had to hire a P.I. to find my ex who is now married with children. My ex has refused to help pay for a legal divorce and I am stuck as to how to proceed. My question is: Is there anyway to get a quicky divorce and since we do not have any children or property what kind of $$ are we talking about? Ok, I also want to know if my ex's current marriage can cause legal problems for them.

Thanks from southern California

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stuckinlimbo said:
I have been separated since 1981. I was not in contact with my former spouse until 1987. Thats when my ex told me we were legally divorced. I am engaged now and was encouraged to make sure my divorce was legal. I could not find the supposed papers filed anywhere. I had to hire a P.I. to find my ex who is now married with children. My ex has refused to help pay for a legal divorce and I am stuck as to how to proceed. My question is: Is there anyway to get a quicky divorce and since we do not have any children or property what kind of $$ are we talking about? Ok, I also want to know if my ex's current marriage can cause legal problems for them.

Thanks from southern California
My response:

Since you've been married since 1981, you're not entitled to a Summary Divorce in California. You'll need to file a standard Petition for dissolution of your marriage.

If your spouse has remarried without benefit of a legal divorce from you, then your spouse can be found guilty of the felony known as Bigamy. You may wish to report your spouse for this crime to the County District Attorney's office for further action.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">