• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lying to lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mom2001

My soon to be ex just got caught in a lie by his lawyer... For any lawyers out there (or anyone else who has seen similar situation), how kindly will his lawyer look upon him??? Will it affect anything?

D

dorenephilpot

Clients lie every day to us lawyers and to the courts. Sometimes it's an outright lie. Sometimes it's a lie of omission.

Sometimes they know it's a lie. Often it's just their version of the truth (shaded so that it sounds good to their ears).

If I feel that someone is deliberately misleading me, making it impossible for me to work for them, I "fire" them.

If someone sees things differently from the way the ex sees it, so be it. The court usually knows that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

FYI, lawyers are bound by the rules of ethics NOT to present testimony or evidence to a court that they know is false.

Does this answer your question?

M

mom2001

re: dorenephilpot

Yes, I think it did answer my question. Basically, my soon to be ex lied to me about something and said that his lawyer's office said "blahblahblah" and then told his lawyer's office something else. (My lawyer's assistant told me what his lawyer's office had told them that he had said to them about the matter.) So he lied to them and also lied about them. UGHHH will just be glad when this is over and I just hope and pray that his lies will be seen as what they are...
Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">