• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MAP School in Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flessa

I live in Tennessee and have a son who may be borderline ADHD. The school says he is a disciplinary problem. I say they aren't doing their job. They want to send him to a Modified Academic Program School. At that school, the students sit in a grey cubicle for 7 hours. The days work is in a folder on the desk. They are expected to sit there quietly doing the work, staring only at the desk or carel. If they turn around or make a sound, they must stand at the wall, arms at the side, no sound or movement for 5 minutes. If they can't manage that, then they must stand there for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, or up to 30 minutes at a time. If they can't manage 30 minutes, no sound or movement, they are taken down onto the floor, arms behind their back with an adult sitting on their back until they submit and will stand quietly. Everything they have is searched as they come in the door. They wear a white tshirt and grey sweatpants every day and hair is less than 3 inches long. They must accumulate 'points' to buy their way out of this facility. Points are set by the disciplinary board of the school district. How do they get away with treating children like this? Is this not child abuse, mental cruelty, and assault and battery? Is my only option here to homeschool my son or pay for a private school that I can't afford?

U

Ukiah

flessa said:
I live in Tennessee and have a son who may be borderline ADHD. The school says he is a disciplinary problem. I say they aren't doing their job. They want to send him to a Modified Academic Program School. At that school, the students sit in a grey cubicle for 7 hours. The days work is in a folder on the desk. They are expected to sit there quietly doing the work, staring only at the desk or carel. If they turn around or make a sound, they must stand at the wall, arms at the side, no sound or movement for 5 minutes. If they can't manage that, then they must stand there for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, or up to 30 minutes at a time. If they can't manage 30 minutes, no sound or movement, they are taken down onto the floor, arms behind their back with an adult sitting on their back until they submit and will stand quietly. Everything they have is searched as they come in the door. They wear a white tshirt and grey sweatpants every day and hair is less than 3 inches long. They must accumulate 'points' to buy their way out of this facility. Points are set by the disciplinary board of the school district. How do they get away with treating children like this? Is this not child abuse, mental cruelty, and assault and battery? Is my only option here to homeschool my son or pay for a private school that I can't afford?
I know how you are feeling... In a way.... I too was having problems with my daughter's teachers. She was dragged out of class (during the lunch break)by her teacher. I went to the principal who offered a meeting. I contacted a few teacher friends and asked if they have the right to handle my child in this manner. In a way the teacher was right, but she was also wrong... We all came to an understanding in that meeting and are trying something different with my daughter, which at the moment, seems to be working, and the teacher feels better knowing that it isn't just her that my daughter is reacting to, it's the situation.

The teacher did not inquire as to my child's home life, nor did she listen when I would expalin my child's actions/ reactions, and it exploded into the incident above.

I'm not saying that the teachers are right. I would set up a meeting with them to get their point of view, and let yours be known. Don't rule out the other school, go take a physical look at it, talk with the principal(s) and get an understanding as to why they are teaching in the manner that they do. Remember, you're trying to do the best for your child. If the other school has a better plan, go with that. If it makes your child more attentive, that will be a good thing. But you as the parent have the right to pull your child out of the school any time you wish.

Another course of action would be to transfer your child to a different school in your county (apply for an inter-district transfer and pick out the school you wish your child to attend) You may have to do the drop off/pick up unless there is a bus that will p/u the child.

You may want to check your States Education codes/laws so you know where you stand.

F

flessa

Unfortunately, the description of the school came directly from a representative of that school, not my impression from teachers at my school. And I was told about this at a meeting at my school with his teachers, prinipal, vice principal, counselor, me and the rep from the other school. They were definately trying to scare my son into different behavior patterns instead of trying to work with him. Needless to say, we both felt attacked. It was not a very satisfying meeting for any of us.

U

Ukiah

flessa said:
Unfortunately, the description of the school came directly from a representative of that school, not my impression from teachers at my school. And I was told about this at a meeting at my school with his teachers, prinipal, vice principal, counselor, me and the rep from the other school. They were definately trying to scare my son into different behavior patterns instead of trying to work with him. Needless to say, we both felt attacked. It was not a very satisfying meeting for any of us.
WOW. Talk about pressure. What has your child done to make them feel that he needs to be enrolled into another school?

Maybe what you can do is have a third party go with you to another meeting and possibly give you perspective on the situation, that 3rd party may also help in the resolution between all of you. Afterall that person doesn't have anything to lose, no threats can be given to them because they are not the parent or a teacher.

Possibly contact an attorney in your area to have a free consultation. Seek consultations from a few other attorney's.

Have you had your child tested to disprove their theory of him being ADHD?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">