• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marital debit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaybird

Is a debit card marital property if only one spouse works?Left a abusive marriage with no money.Used debit card to purchase minutes for phone .now he is trying to have me arrested for using card which I have used for same purchase several times.Iam one who set up pin number and managed account paid bills and bought groceries with same card can he do this?

Antigone*

Is a debit card marital property if only one spouse works?Left a abusive marriage with no money.Used debit card to purchase minutes for phone .now he is trying to have me arrested for using card which I have used for same purchase several times.Iam one who set up pin number and managed account paid bills and bought groceries with same card can he do this?
This is how the bank would look at this situation:

The debit card belongs to the account owner. If you are not the account owner then you should not be able to use the card; BUT it appears that your husband gave you the card and gave you the PIN number assigned to the card. If he were to call his bank and claim that the transactions were fraudulent, the bank would deny his claim. He gave out his PIN number thereby allowing the activity.

Now if the bank finds that no crime was committed, he would probably have a very difficult time getting the police to agree with him as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually I am going to disagree with Ana. While she is partially right, OP did NOT have permission to use the card this time and thus she committed a crime by stealing the debit card. She could find herself prosecuted.

Antigone*

Actually I am going to disagree with Ana. While she is partially right, OP did NOT have permission to use the card this time and thus she committed a crime by stealing the debit card. She could find herself prosecuted.
Once again OG is right. I had to go back and re-read the post. She used it this time for a purchase that her hubby did not allow. Again, the bank most likely will not approve a fraud claim for the hubby, but the cops are a different story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">