• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Buddhabert

I am planning to get married, my fiancée has a business with a lot of dept associated with it. I have almost no dept. After marriage will I be responsible for my spouses dept if the business fails? Kansas and Florida

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Buddhabert said:
I am planning to get married, my fiancée has a business with a lot of dept associated with it. I have almost no dept. After marriage will I be responsible for my spouses dept if the business fails? Kansas and Florida
My response:

Not if you see an attorney to have a Pre-Nuptual agreement signed by both of you, relieving you of responsibility. Without one, and if you benefit from the fruits of the business, you may, in fact, also be responsible for the liabilities. Normally, you can't have the benefits without the risk of also being responsible for liabilities.

It's like having your cake and eating it, too.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">