• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage with Baggage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MASSterpiece

I am in Boston, Massachusetts and I have been a victim of mortgage fraud and the amount on my credit is $500k+. I have been with my fiancée for over 8 years and we have 3 children together. I want to make the next step, but do not want my baggage to be tied in with her. Is it possible to have an amendment so to speak or a letter of separation with the credit history prior to marriage (if that makes any sense)?

If both your names were on the mortgage, you're liable separately and severally. If it was only you, it doesn't affect the other directly. But if you ever have a judgement levied against you, joint accounts can be garnished as if it were only yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">