• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage between US citizen and foreign national

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amerikiwi

What is the name of your state? Idaho

Hello, I am a New Zealand citizen and my fiance is a resident of the state of Idaho. We are planning to be married in December and plan to live in the US. On behalf of Becky (my fiance) and myself, I would like to ask for some advice regarding marriage etc to ensure we comply with all laws and don't hit any problems along the way.

(i) I plan to spend Christmas with my fiance and her family and we plan to marry at that time. Is there anything I need to know about getting married in Idaho as a non-resident? Is there certain ID that is required for me to take with me, for example?

(ii) Following our marriage I plan to return to New Zealand and close up things here - resign my employment, sell personal effects etc. We plan for Becky to come over to NZ for a couple of weeks for a holiday/honeymoon on our own before we both fly back together in February/March to start our new life together with the children. I am planning on applying for a K class visa as a spouse of a US citizen to emigrate permanently to the US. Am I able to seek employment in the US at that time under the conditions of that visa?

(iii) I would like to contribute to the US when I live there, and want to be employed and pay taxes etc. Am I able to obtain a social security number upon entry to the US so I can work and support my family?

We have been planning this for almost two years now and it's important to us that it all goes well without any hiccups or hassles for either of us, so I'd be keen to learn of anything we need to make sure of. There is nothing worse than making plans and then finding out you have forgotten to take care of something which wrecks it all.

So thank you all, and any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
Auckland, NZ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">