• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage built on a lie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ravcpaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I would like to get some advice on whether or not I can have my marriage annuled since my husband did not tell me he was HIV positive until after we were married. By the way I asked him before the marriage took place.

Proserpina

I would like to get some advice on whether or not I can have my marriage annuled since my husband did not tell me he was HIV positive until after we were married. By the way I asked him before the marriage took place.

You really need to contact a local attorney first thing. Fraud is ample reason to obtain an annulment in Louisiana, but I'm wondering if you can actually prove that he didn't tell you beforehand.

Please get tested, also. Hopefully you won't test positive but if you do, there may be legal action you can take against your husband.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Contact the police and file a criminal complaint if you had sex with him before finding out he was HIV positive. In most states it is normally a crime NOT inform someone of HIV positive status. Also go get tested IMMEDIATELY to see if have been infected.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You really need to contact a local attorney first thing. Fraud is ample reason to obtain an annulment in Louisiana, but I'm wondering if you can actually prove that he didn't tell you beforehand.

Please get tested, also. Hopefully you won't test positive but if you do, there may be legal action you can take against your husband.
There is legal action she can take even if she doesn't test positive -- such as filing a criminal complaint -- in addition to an annulment/divorce. The only issue may be if she has a certain type of marriage in LA -- which at this point is escaping me.

Proserpina

There is legal action she can take even if she doesn't test positive -- such as filing a criminal complaint -- in addition to an annulment/divorce. The only issue may be if she has a certain type of marriage in LA -- which at this point is escaping me.

Oh oh oh what's it called..Covenant marriage or something? :confused:

ravcpaw

I did get tested and so far I am negative I have to go back in three months. I had found some paperwork dating back to 2010 that had his diagnosis on it but now I cannot find them I think he through them away. He also got mad and said that I need to stop snooping.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">