• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage contract in relation to the house purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greentooth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State
My wife and I are planning to buy a house. I could describe my marriage as the normal one, with ups and downs. However, I would like to make a contract between my wife and me, before a house purchase,that says if my wife wants to divorce me without any valid reason( e.g. she does not love me anymore), the half of the house could not belong to her according to the marriage law. On the other hand, similar would be applicable to me. To summarize, I make a lot more money than my wife and will participate with total sum for the house cost. My wife has no savings funds. I wouldn't want that my wife gets the idea to request the divorce, in order to get the half house and assets. How to protect myself before the house purchase, but also I want to offer my wife fair and similar duties and conditions from myself, in this house pre-purchase contract?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State
My wife and I are planning to buy a house. I could describe my marriage as the normal one, with ups and downs. However, I would like to make a contract between my wife and me, before a house purchase,that says if my wife wants to divorce me without any valid reason( e.g. she does not love me anymore), the half of the house could not belong to her according to the marriage law. On the other hand, similar would be applicable to me. To summarize, I make a lot more money than my wife and will participate with total sum for the house cost. My wife has no savings funds. I wouldn't want that my wife gets the idea to request the divorce, in order to get the half house and assets. How to protect myself before the house purchase, but also I want to offer my wife fair and similar duties and conditions from myself, in this house pre-purchase contract?
What you are suggesting is not enforceable.

greentooth

What you are suggesting is not enforceable.
What can be done? Given that the funds for buying the home will come from my savings? That means that my wife will not financially participate. I don't intend to do my wife any harm in the terms of divorce or similar, but to secure our family investment.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What can be done? Given that the funds for buying the home will come from my savings? That means that my wife will not financially participate. I don't intend to do my wife any harm in the terms of divorce or similar, but to secure our family investment.
Divorce now.

Buy the house later.

If you have so little confidence in your marriage that you're posting stuff like this, then end it already.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have a partnership with your wife. Therefore, a marriage means you are in it together. If you don't agree, divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">