• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage and debt from prior to marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edward46

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
My fiance and I wish to get married. We have been living together for 7 years. When he was divorced his ex was to pay certain bills but instead declared bankruptcy on them leaving his name on them and some he never knew existed. He also has some debts from his old business that he is unable to pay and that have put judgments on him. I have assets, a home etc and do not want them attached for his old debts. If we got married do I become resposible for these? Should he just declare bankruptcy as he has no assets?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
My fiance and I wish to get married. We have been living together for 7 years. When he was divorced his ex was to pay certain bills but instead declared bankruptcy on them leaving his name on them and some he never knew existed. He also has some debts from his old business that he is unable to pay and that have put judgments on him. I have assets, a home etc and do not want them attached for his old debts. If we got married do I become resposible for these? Should he just declare bankruptcy as he has no assets?
These bills are 7 years old?
Should be well past the SOL to be sued for and since they were bills from prior to 7 years ago, they would be past the Credit Reporting Timeframe.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
These bills are 7 years old?
Should be well past the SOL to be sued for and since they were bills from prior to 7 years ago, they would be past the Credit Reporting Timeframe.
You'll understand why this isn't correct if you replace the word bills with the word judgments. (Read the OP again)

You'll understand why this isn't correct if you replace the word bills with the word judgments. (Read the OP again)
The judgements are for his business, yes, still existing. But OP mentions bills that were supposed to be paid by the ex through the divorce decree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">