• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage/Incest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kylakae

My niece, who just turned 17 in February, recently became involved with her great uncle. He is the son on her mother's grandfather and her mother's step-grandmother. He is 22 years old. They began a sexual relationship when she was 16 years old, during a period when he was temporarily living with them.

Now that her parents are aware of the situation, he has moved out of their house. My niece has just told us that her great-uncle has proposed to her. Her mother has threatened to have him arrested for statutory rape. They live in Louisiana where 17 is the age of consent for sex.

My questions are:

1) Would they be considered "too-closely" related to marry?

2) Could her mother bring charges of statutory rape against him now that she is of legal age?

Her parents are divorced and remarried and she is asking her father to sign the paperwork to let her get married underaged. Her father and I (her aunt) are confused! Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">