• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage Law Confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NIZIR05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, California
I NEED HELP IN UNDERSTANDING IF MY NON CITIZEN HUSBAND IS NOW CONSIDERED A CITIZEN BECAUSE WE ARE MARRIED? SHOULD HE STILL TAKE THE CITIZENSHIP TEST.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I NEED HELP IN UNDERSTANDING IF MY NON CITIZEN HUSBAND IS NOW CONSIDERED A CITIZEN BECAUSE WE ARE MARRIED? SHOULD HE STILL TAKE THE CITIZENSHIP TEST.
Yes he should still take the citizenship. And you may have issues depending on why he was in the country to begin with. What kind of visa was he here on?

Proserpina

Marriage does not automatically bestow citizenship on a person.

If he doesn't already have it, he will first have to obtain permanent residency. As OG asked, what is his current status?

I NEED HELP IN UNDERSTANDING IF MY NON CITIZEN HUSBAND IS NOW CONSIDERED A CITIZEN BECAUSE WE ARE MARRIED?
Marriage does not change the citizenship of either party, so no, your husband is still not a U.S. citizen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">