• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage - Legal Owner of Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Semperfi2003

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I am curious. I know someone in the following situation.
Let say I get married, and the house I live in is owned by my parents. As time passes, my parents pass on and eventually I pass on. Will my wife become the owner of the estate or my children ?
I know someone who is getting married. She is 17 years younger than he is, and was wondering if she would be the sole owner of the estate or would the children .

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I am curious. I know someone in the following situation.
Let say I get married, and the house I live in is owned by my parents. As time passes, my parents pass on and eventually I pass on. Will my wife become the owner of the estate or my children ?
I know someone who is getting married. She is 17 years younger than he is, and was wondering if she would be the sole owner of the estate or would the children .
If he does not have a will, then the intestate laws of the state would apply. Intestate laws generally divide the estate between the spouse and any children, in a specific manner. You can google for the intestate laws for Florida.

If he has a will, then the will spells out who gets what.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If he does not have a will, then the intestate laws of the state would apply. Intestate laws generally divide the estate between the spouse and any children, in a specific manner. You can google for the intestate laws for Florida.

If he has a will, then the will spells out who gets what.
The bolded is NOT completely correct. If he is married and does not provide for his wife at least the amount she would get intestate, she could elect to take the intestate share regardless of whether there is a will.

LdiJ

The bolded is NOT completely correct. If he is married and does not provide for his wife at least the amount she would get intestate, she could elect to take the intestate share regardless of whether there is a will.
I know that, I just didn't want to get that complicated with someone who appears to be overly interested in how much money she will get when her older spouse dies.

Semperfi2003

Thank you OhioGal the Information....

However, for LdiJ !!! - "get that complicated with someone who appears to be overly interested in how much money she will get when her older spouse dies."

You shouldn’t make assumptions !!!! As I am the Step Father of the children. The BIO dad is irresponsible and “I” want to make sure “I” have a plan for the children, in the event my wife and I pass on, and the BIO dad makes irresponsible discussions.

ecmst12

You can leave your money to whomever you like. You can't control who dad leaves his money to, and it's not really any of your business. Unless dad is terminally ill or in very poor health, his will/estate is not likely to become an issue while the children are minors so it will be even LESS your business then.

Semperfi2003

It is my business, these are my wifes' children, and we want to insure they are taken care of when we pass. My wife and I also have a child as well. We don't want one child being favored over the other, and things are somewhat even among them all. At any rate, I believe my question has been answered.

latigo

Thank you OhioGal the Information....

However, for LdiJ !!! - "get that complicated with someone who appears to be overly interested in how much money she will get when her older spouse dies."

You shouldn’t make assumptions !!!! As I am the Step Father of the children. The BIO dad is irresponsible and “I” want to make sure “I” have a plan for the children, in the event my wife and I pass on, and the BIO dad makes irresponsible discussions. (sic)
Ironic that you should use the expression, “irresponsible discussions” in replying to Ld. As inadvertent as it was of you, it seems a perfect label for the wannabe’s nonprofessional efforts in here.

Semperfi2003

Yea, your right; It’s a shame, ask a question, and get accused of being someone else, interfering, and insulted over a TypeO. I have a better things to do, than hang out in some virtual forum. As I stated OhIoGal, thank you for your answer to the question. The others comments from others, was unnecessary.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yea, your right; It’s a shame, ask a question, and get accused of being someone else, interfering, and insulted over a TypeO. I have a better things to do, than hang out in some virtual forum. As I stated OhIoGal, thank you for your answer to the question. The others comments from others, was unnecessary.
He didn't insult you. He was explaining to you HIS opinion of LD. And then you called him a moron which only makes YOU look like a moron.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">