• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage and Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megahedron

A couple years ago my Wife and I got married on November 6th. Before the marriage I had submitted documentation to have an adult adoption for my step-father to adopt me, but the county had not gotten to the documentation yet so the marriage happened before the adoption was official. November 22 the adoption finally became signed off by a judge and my name was last name was legally changed. Now the problem is that I have my step-father's last name and my wife who hasn't done anything since marriage has her maiden name still.

How do we go about changing her legal last name to my current legal last name since the marriage certificate is in my previous last name? This was all done in the state of Colorado in Arapahoe County.

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A couple years ago my Wife and I got married on November 6th. Before the marriage I had submitted documentation to have an adult adoption for my step-father to adopt me, but the county had not gotten to the documentation yet so the marriage happened before the adoption was official. November 22 the adoption finally became signed off by a judge and my name was last name was legally changed. Now the problem is that I have my step-father's last name and my wife who hasn't done anything since marriage has her maiden name still.

How do we go about changing her legal last name to my current legal last name since the marriage certificate is in my previous last name? This was all done in the state of Colorado in Arapahoe County.

Thank you.
She would have to petition for a name change through probate court. Why does she want to change her name? She doesn't need to legally change her name to be your wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">