• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marriage in nj usa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eandj

me and my boyfried live together for 18 years he is living in this country for 21 years we both are citizens he is married in pakistian and his marriage is not resterged here in the usa he sponsored his children to this country tell all over 21 and married he is not bringing his wife here can we be married in the usa in his country they have no divorce papers everything is verbal all they do is say divorce three times can we be married without any problems please help me if u can

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

He must first obtain a divorce in this country. Bigamy (being married to more than one person at the same time) is a felony in most States.

All because he's married in a foreign country doesn't mean that the United States doesn't recognize that marriage. The United States recognizes marriages from all over the World, and affords such foriegn marriages with the same rights, responsibilities and duties, as if he was married in the United States.

In summary, he must obtain a divorce here, first, before he can marry you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">