• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marriage and protextion of assets for child and myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marriage101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My fiance owes about $12,000.00 in interest and back child support for two children that are emancipated. When we marry, can the courts take anything that I bring into the marriage (my house, my income, etc)? He owes in two different states - Wisconsin and Indiana, but we live and will live in Ohio. How will our marriage affect our taxes?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Keep all assets separated - do not put ANYTHING jointly. If you file jointly, you can file an injured spouse form that will protect your portion of a refund, if any.

marriage101

keeping assets seperate

IS there a legal form I need to ahve drafted and signed to keep my assets seperate? Once we are married, if I refinance my home, does his name have to go onto the title? (I live in Ohio).

TinkerBelleLuvr

You would NOT be required to add your husband to the title as long as his name is not on the mortgage.

Again - keep all assets separated.

marriage101

Thanks for your help! His name is not on the mortgge and I will make sure we keep thing seperate. We have a tax prepareer, she advised us to seeek info about the house. Thanks!

Gracie3787

In addition to not owning any joint property, you'll also need to keep completely seperate bank accounts, including savings accounts.

I don't know what the reason is that he owes arrears, but you'll need to put aside some savings for your child, because if you 2 ever break up, the first orders for support will always be paid first which could hurt your chances of actually recieving CS for your child with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">