• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage to a Turkish Man

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaymi_helzer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am from Missouri and my boyfriend and I are wanting to get married. He is from Turkey and is not a resident of the US. He has been here before on a J1 visa but we are wanting to get married when he comes in November to visit my family. Is this legal to get married to a foreigner in Missouri? And what are the steps that we need to take to make it a valid marriage? He is not wanting to stay here at first. He will stay until Jan. and then he has to go back to finish his final exams at school. I will go visit him in March and we are hoping to change his visa status there in Turkey at the embassy. Is this possible? I know there are many questions here.. if anyone can help with information it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am from Missouri and my boyfriend and I are wanting to get married. He is from Turkey and is not a resident of the US. He has been here before on a J1 visa but we are wanting to get married when he comes in November to visit my family. Is this legal to get married to a foreigner in Missouri? And what are the steps that we need to take to make it a valid marriage? He is not wanting to stay here at first. He will stay until Jan. and then he has to go back to finish his final exams at school. I will go visit him in March and we are hoping to change his visa status there in Turkey at the embassy. Is this possible? I know there are many questions here.. if anyone can help with information it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I can foresee many problems with this idea. You need to speak to an immigration attorney who can point out all the flaws in your plan. Also, how familiar are you with Turkish customs/culture?

jaymi_helzer

I can foresee many problems with this idea. You need to speak to an immigration attorney who can point out all the flaws in your plan. Also, how familiar are you with Turkish customs/culture?

Well this is why I was asking.. As I am not sure of the laws here or if this is even possible. We have been reading about all the different types of visas available for this but it all seems like so much paperwork and a little drawn out. I am also very familiar with the customs and culture in Turkey. It is actually a very modern place in the larger cities.. there has been alot of change in the last 20 years there. Anyways.. any help pointing out those flaws or a better suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well this is why I was asking.. As I am not sure of the laws here or if this is even possible. We have been reading about all the different types of visas available for this but it all seems like so much paperwork and a little drawn out. I am also very familiar with the customs and culture in Turkey. It is actually a very modern place in the larger cities.. there has been alot of change in the last 20 years there. Anyways.. any help pointing out those flaws or a better suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.
IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY. Or at least transfer this post to or repost in the immigration forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">