• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage under 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobalooi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

In the free advice faqs it says that people under 18 can get married in Georgia without parental consent. I looked it up in the government website and it does say that you need parental consent. In Alabama parental consent is required also. Is there anyway for me to elope without needing parental consent. It defeats the purpose and is quite inconvenient :)

I'm 16 and he's 17. We're both having birthdays this coming winter

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

In the free advice faqs it says that people under 18 can get married in Georgia without parental consent. I looked it up in the government website and it does say that you need parental consent. In Alabama parental consent is required also. Is there anyway for me to elope without needing parental consent. It defeats the purpose and is quite inconvenient :)

I'm 16 and he's 17. We're both having birthdays this coming winter
And why do you think you are ready to get married?

CourtClerk

Shoot, if you don't like working in the yard, imagine how hard it'll be when you find out you have to (1) work to keep your relationship together when you are both children (2) work to live because parents don't have to pay for married people (3) save up money for the divorce when you find out just how hard life is and he decides he wants to leave you with the kids you are ill prepared to support.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Is there anyway for me to elope without needing parental consent. It defeats the purpose
No. You're going to have to wait until you're legally an adult. Maybe by then you will have gained at least some of the maturity required to make major life decisions wisely. You so obviously don't have that ability now.

And by the way--of course it defeats the purpose. It defeats the purpose for a very good reason.

bobalooi

And why do you think you are ready to get married?
its not a question of getting married right now its a question of what options i have. the statistics are enough to know how dumb it is to get married at an early age and i know that. in no where did i say "i need to get married right now im a desperate little child"

CourtClerk

No. You're going to have to wait until you're legally an adult. Maybe by then you will have gained at least some of the maturity required to make major life decisions wisely. You so obviously don't have that ability now.

And by the way--of course it defeats the purpose. It defeats the purpose for a very good reason.
See the posting history. The OP was in a prior thread whining about doing chores, now she wants to get married. Ummm... how big of a chore is it to be a WIFE?????

bobalooi

See the posting history. The OP was in a prior thread whining about doing chores, now she wants to get married. Ummm... how big of a chore is it to be a WIFE?????
being a wife cant be that hard if you have enough time to go on the computer to make fun of ignorant spoiled children online.

you obviously dont have a life. try picking up a hobby

>Charlotte<

Lurker
its not a question of getting married right now its a question of what options i have. the statistics are enough to know how dumb it is to get married at an early age and i know that. in no where did i say "i need to get married right now im a desperate little child"
Oh, bull. If you're not trying to figure out how you can get married now, than what "purpose" to which you referred is "defeated" by the requirement of parental consent?

But it's true that you didn't say you're a little child. That part you didn't have to say.

In one thread you're whining about your mother not giving you enough of the child support she receives, and now you're here asking how you can get married. The best advice anyone here can give you is: grow up.

CourtClerk

ignorant spoiled children online.
You remember that you called YOURSELF that... it's quite fitting, but just remember that.
It's my day off... you know, we get those after a full week at work and a morning full of taking care of the house. Go pull some weeds and I'll send over a couple of extra quarters for you.

Oh.. and the kid is off doing chores... for no money at all. But he does get the luxury of living here.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

In your other post, you complained about yardwork.

Are you mature enough to be married?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
being a wife cant be that hard if you have enough time to go on the computer to make fun of ignorant spoiled children online.

COOL! YOu admit you are ignorant and spoiled. Recognizing a problem is the first step to solving it. Now how you going to solve being ignorant and spoiled?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law in GA was changed. It would appear that FA has not yet updated it.

There is NO state where you can get married younger than 18 without permission of your parents, permission of the court, or both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">